Hyundai Sonata Wins Cars.com $25,000 Family Sedan Shootout
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., May 3, 2010 – Hyundai’s all-new 2011 Sonata topped a field of eight popular midsize sedans to win the Cars.com “$25,000 Family Sedan Shootout.” The Cars.com analysis consisted of six automotive journalists (including Jim Healey and Chris Woodyard from USA Today and Brian Robinson from PBS's “MotorWeek”), a family of four and three days to determine: What's the best family sedan you can buy for $25,000 or less? The answer was clearly “Sonata” as the new Hyundai model easily outpaced the field with 794 points on a 1000-point scale, beating second-place finisher Camry by 42.
Cars.com editors said, “[Sonata’s] striking design won over most, but it was the whole package that grabbed the title . . . None of the competitors came close.”
Hyundai’s all-new 2011 Sonata represents a modern approach to the traditional midsize sedan segment by using only advanced four-cylinder engines, emotional design and luxury features offered with Hyundai’s strong value proposition. The Sonata launched with a new Theta II 2.4-liter gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and in-house six-speed automatic transmission. The vehicle offers class-leading fuel economy of 22 mpg city/35 mpg highway and 198 horsepower standard.
Hyundai also announced the 2.0-liter Theta II turbocharged GDI four-cylinder engine and Sonata Hybrid models at the New York International Auto Show, rounding out an exciting new 2011 Sonata lineup.
“Sonata was built to raise the bar in the midsize sedan category by integrating modern design and tremendous fuel economy into Hyundai’s value equation,” said Scott Margason, director, Product Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “Winning the Cars.com Family Sedan Shootout against the traditional volume leaders validates that Sonata hit the mark, and is poised to change consumers’ expectations in this competitive segment.”
The Cars.com team ranked each competitor on a 10-point scale in 10 categories. Reviewers accounted for 60 percent of the total; the parents accounted for the remaining 40 percent. The maximum score possible was 1,000 points.
The final results were:
Hyundai Sonata; 794 points
Toyota Camry; 752 points
Suzuki Kizashi; 731 points
Mazda6; 724 points
Honda Accord; 723 points
Nissan Altima; 711 points
Chevrolet Malibu; 697 points
Ford Fusion; 669 points
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA
Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through almost 800 dealerships nationwide. All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program which now includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable bumper-to-bumper warranty, Hyundai’s 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty and 5-year complimentary Roadside Assistance in addition to the highly acclaimed vehicle return policy introduced in early 2009. For more details on Hyundai Assurance, please visit www.HyundaiAssurance.com.