Kia UVO in car infotainment system receives top honors at 2010 Telematics Update Awards conference
Kia Motors Corporation 2010/06/10프린트
- Kia UVO, short for 'Your Voice,' is a breakthrough user interface providing simple and quick access to vehicle's multimedia and infotainment systems
- UVO is the first in-vehicle solution to integrate full Microsoft intelligent speech engine technology
(SEOUL) June 10, 2010 -- Kia Motors America (KMA) announced its proprietary, intelligent in-car communications and entertainment system, "UVO powered by Microsoft(r)," was honored with the 2009-2010 Industry Newcomer Award at the annual Telematics Update Awards Conference, the world's biggest forum for telematics industry leaders that recognizes achievement and innovation within the telematics market.
Scheduled to roll out in select Kia models in the US during the 2010 calendar year, UVO provides Kia drivers friendly voice- and touch-activated experiences for hands-free mobile phone and SMS text operation as well as simple, intuitive management of music files. The Industry Newcomer Award gives recognition to this year's best new product and/or company in telematics and brings to the fore new ventures that have shown true potential and innovation in the telematics field. Kia Motors also was named a finalist for the Car Manufacturer Innovation Award.
"UVO powered by Microsoft is a breakthrough for in-vehicle infotainment and another solid example of why Kia is a true tier-one automotive brand," says Michael Sprague, Vice President, Marketing, KMA. "With UVO, Kia is able to offer drivers a rich telematic experience and a clear competitive advantage, allowing Kia drivers to safely and easily use all of their personal technologies and create personalized in-car communications and entertainment experiences."
Co-developed with Microsoft in the US and based on Windows Embedded Auto software, UVO is an easy-to-use, hands-free solution that allows drivers and passengers to answer and place phone calls, receive and respond to SMS text messages, access music from a variety of media sources and create custom music experiences. Understanding drivers want and need intuitive controls, Kia Motors and Microsoft designed UVO to enable a new level of voice recognition through Microsoft speech technology. Drivers of Kia vehicles equipped with UVO can access media content and connect with people through simple, quick voice commands without having to navigate through menus. By supporting complex grammar, UVO needs only short voice commands to connect drivers and passengers with their desired functions. An interactive system, UVO responds to inquiries such as "What's playing?" and provides audible answers and related functions, helping to keep drivers' eyes safely focused on the road ahead of them.
UVO also brings advancements to in-car technology through an immersive user experience. The interface features a 4.3-inch, full-color display that provides detailed information on media content, phonebook data and vehicle information, and the screen also doubles as a rear-view camera when the shifter is put in reverse. UVO is an open platform that seamlessly integrates with a wide variety of mobile phones, music players and other devices, making it easy for drivers to quickly pair devices.
Based on the award-winning Windows Embedded Auto platform, UVO can be updated easily as new consumer devices continue to be introduced to the market. Many Kia vehicles in the US, like the all-new Sorento, Soul, Forte and Forte Koup already come standard and at no extra cost with Bluetooth wireless technology connectivity, iPod/MP3/USB connectivity, and a three-month SIRIUS(r) satellite radio subscription.
Key Features of UVO powered by Microsoft:
* Advanced Speech Recognition: Intelligent Microsoft(r) speech technology is trained to the system operator's voice, creating a personal profile and allowing for up to two different voice profiles in various languages. Support for large grammar commands and faster response time means the content is delivered when you ask for it. Kia Motors' UVO system is the first in-vehicle solution to integrate full Microsoft(r) speech engine technology.
* Natural Interface Advancements: A full-color, easy-to-use in-dash monitor allows occupants to quickly scroll through media and mobile device content through intuitive voice and touch-screen commands.
* Custom Media Experiences with MyMusic: UVO's "Jukebox" function features a 1GB hard drive for media storage, allowing users to rip music from CDs or an MP3 player into personal MyMusic folders and store up to 250 songs sorted by title and/or artist - all through voice commands. The system can shuffle through an MP3 player or AM/FM and SIRIUS(r) radio stations and instantly identify what's playing all through simple voice commands.
* Rear Backup Camera: When the vehicle is put in reverse, a built-in rear backup camera uses UVO's in-dash display to provide clearer images of the environment behind the car assisting the driver to identify certain objects that otherwise may be difficult to see.
* Ability to Continuously Update Features and Services: Based on a flexible Windows Embedded Auto platform, updates and services can be delivered in a number of ways (over-the-air, over-the-Web) for Kia to continue to provide a superior user experience after the system enters the market.
Editor's note: Standard equipment and specifications based on US model and may vary depending on country.
Kia Motors Corporation (www.kia.com) -- a maker of quality vehicles for the young-at-heart -- was founded in 1944 and is Korea's oldest manufacturer of motor vehicles. As part of the Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group, Kia aims to become one of the world's premier automotive brands. Over 1.5 million vehicles a year are produced in 13 manufacturing and assembly operations in eight countries which are then sold and serviced through a network of distributors and dealers covering 172 countries. Kia today has over 42,000 employees worldwide and annual revenues of over US$14.6 billion. It is the major sponsor of the Australian Open and an official automotive partner of FIFA -- the governing body of the FIFA World Cup(tm). Kia Motors Corporation's brand slogan -- "The Power to Surprise" -- represents the company's global commitment to surpassing customer expectations through continuous automotive innovation.