Material Development by ICME Technology,
Your Imagination Makes It Real
- All the materials used in our daily life are the results of considerable time consuming research efforts.
Hyundai Motor Group is advancing forward to attain the state-of-art technology of Integrated Computational Material Engineering (ICME) which enables the predictable development of highly sophisticated newly emerging materials based on optimized cost and time. This paradigm shift from limited experience and knowledge based development to theory based and date driven innovation would be cost, time schedule and technical benefits to our customers.
Computational Alloy Design
1st principle calculation(Atomic/Crystal Structure, Thermodynamic database) -> Meta-stable phase diagram
Microstructure Calculation and Analysis of Microstructures
Prediction of Microstructural changes (phase transformation, grain structures, precipitations etc.)
Mechanical Property Prediction
Integration and optimization of each process step to ensure designed material properties (Yield strength, Tensile strength)
ICME, or Integrated Computational Material Engineering, is a technology that allows materials to be developed completely in a virtual space through the quantification and formularization of everything related to matter, such as quantum physics, weight, strength, and brittleness of materials, to name only a few.
In a virtual laboratory, the materials are designed and the production processes are established. Then, the final physical attributes are estimated for developing real-life materials. The changes in the fine structures of materials, at the atomic scale, molecular scale, or 1/100 of the thickness of your hair, are fine-tuned and calculated in order to devise the optimal production conditions. And, based on this, the physical properties are engineered to suit the uses of these materials. Then, the researchers assess the possible problems that can be expected in the final stage of production, so that a material that is optimized for a specific purpose can be developed.
- Objective Function for optimization of Material Performance
- Verification and Validation of Objective Functions
Establishment of Elaborate
- Characterization and development of thermodynamic properties enable now-unknown element to element interactions to be considered
- Understanding of the principles of microstructural changes (phases) on theories and data
- Development of constitutive equations and its numerical methods
Specialized in Material Property
- Various models of properties from atomic scale to meter scale
- Integration scheme of each process
Virtual Forming Technology
- Numerical Recipes for mechanical behavior of materials (constitutive equation)
- Spring back prediction
Quality Assurance Technology on the
- Prediction of stress distribution according to manufacturing history
- Prediction of residual stress distribution and validation of its effects on final product quality