The ability of FCEV to purify the air
Moving forward, “green” vehicles will lead the way for the automotive industry,
and experts expect FCEV to be at the forefront with their outstanding benefits for the environment and ability to reduce fine dust.
3-step air purification system of FCEV NEXO
FCEV use electricity generated through an electrochemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen to drive its wheels. To make sure fuel cells retain their performance for the duration of their life spans, the air intake system eliminates dust and chemicals (e.g. CO, etc.) in the air before supplying it to the fuel cells.
The 3-step air purification system available on FCEV eliminates 99.9% of the ultra-fine dust in the air it takes in.
- Air filter : Screens and eliminates dust and chemicals 97% or more (ultra-fine dust: maximum 2.5um)
- Membrane humidifier : Supplies moisture to dry air using a moisture membrane, then eliminates ultra-fine dust from the surface of the membrane (membrane surface area: 7.9m2; membrane length: 1.4km)
- Removes ultra : fine dust from the gaseous diffusion layer and micropore layer (micropore size: maximum 0.1um)
Discharges clean air after Takes in air
Air purification capacity of NEXO
According to the World Health Organization, a healthy adult (body weight: 64kg) requires 0.63kg of air every hour to breath comfortably.
Running 10,000 NEXO units can reduce as much carbon as 600,000 trees. This means 10,000 NEXOs can purify enough air for 49,000 adults.
In particular, what makes FCEV like NEXO even more special is the fact that they can remove significant amounts of fine dust (from tires, road surfaces, etc.) from the road as people drive along
- 1) One mid-sized SUV produces 2.2t of CO2 per year; One tree absorbs approximately 35kg of CO2 per year
- 2) Air required for one adult per hour: 0.55kg; Amount of air purified by one NEXO driven for one hour: 26.9kg
(equivalent to the amount of air required for 48.9 adults)
- 3) According to a study conducted by the US EPA (Analysis of Pollution Levels by Road Separation Distance), the distance to a highway and level
of fine dust had an inverse relationship (up to 2x more fine dust near highways)
- Fine dust particle concentration per 1cm3: 350 particles (300m from the road) → 400 particles (150m from the road) → 700 particles
(20m from the road)